Food Synergy3 LikesLike
Certain components in the foods and beverages we consume (like minerals, vitamins, fiber, and fats) interact with each other to give our bodies extra disease protection and a higher level of health. Here are 10 examples of food combinations that you should include in your diet.
Tomato and Avocado
- Lycopene in tomatoes is best absorbed in the intestinal tract when combined with healthy fats like avocados. Lycopene may help with cancer prevention.
Chickpeas and Beet Root
- Chickpeas are rich in vitamin B6, a vitamin that helps absorb magnesium-rich foods such as beets.
Lemon and Green Tea
- The vitamin C in lemons allow the body to absorb catechins (antioxidants) in green tea, increasing the benefit of green tea.
Broccoli and Tomato
- The cancer fighting benefits of tomatoes and broccoli work best when paired together than when eaten alone.
Lemon and Kale
- Vitamin C (high in lemons) makes plant-based iron (high in kale) easier to absorb by the body.
Salmon and Broccoli
- The vitamin D in salmon absorbs best when paired with a calcium rich food, such as broccoli.
Bell Pepper and Avocado
- Carotenoids found in bell peppers combined with healthy fats found in avocados increases the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K).
Black Pepper and Turmeric
- Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory compound called curcumin. Black pepper helps the body absorb 1000 times more curcumin.
Dark Chocolate and Apple
- Apples are rich in quercetin, an anti-inflammatory important to heart health. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants called flavonoids. Together they may fight blood clots, improve circulation, and reduce your chances of heart disease.
Banana and Yogurt
- After exercise this combination provides both fast-releasing glucose and muscle-repairing amino-acids important for muscle recovery and strengthening.