Red Pepper and Red Lentil Soup2 LikesLike
Health promotion coordinator Dana Burtt recommends this delicious recipe to keep you warm on a cold night
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
Serves: 4 - 6 people
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) salt and freshly ground pepper (each)
- 1 carton (900 mL) no sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried red lentils
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and peppers, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in garlic, thyme, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, lentils and diced tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are very tender; let cool for 10 minutes.
- Purée soup, in batches, using a blender until very smooth. Return to saucepan; cook over medium heat until heated through. Stir in vinegar. Sprinkle with chives.
Nutritional Information (per serving): 220 Calories, 5g Fat, 800mg Sodium, 33g Carbohydrate, 13g Fibre, 11g Protein