Exercising in very hot and humid conditions can be dangerous and lead to potential health complications. But it is also very important to continue to stay active and commit to our physical activity guidelines and get our weekly 150 minutes of exercise.
It is also beneficial to practice muscle and bone strengthening activities at least 2 days per week. Bodyweight strength training is the ideal exercise to try indoors on a hot summer day!
1. Always breathe out upon exertion (pushing).
2. Practice slow and controlled movements.
3. Move through the full range of motion for each exercise. No shortcuts!
4. Complete 3 rounds of 12-15 repetitions for each exercise or hold for 45 seconds.
5. Rest for 60-90 seconds between each round.
DID YOU KNOW?
Exercise patterns change a lot between seasons among people in North America. People are most active in the spring and summer months and least active during the winter. Take advantage of the summer season and get moving!