Vegetarian Chili0 LikesLike
This chili is full of spices and flavour… no one will believe it is vegetarian! Packed full of vegetables and fiber, this recipe is easy, delicious and nutritious!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or lime juice
- Top with: sliced avocado and chopped cilantro
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, carrot, celery and salt. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes (if using). Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add diced tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, drained kidney, black and pinto beans, and vegetable broth (or water). Stir and let mixture come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Scoop 1 ½ cups of the chili mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture back into chili and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide mixture into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.
Tip: Store in air tight container for up to 4 days or freeze it and enjoy later!
Recipe modified from: https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/