They make you cry when you peel or cut them, but did you know how beneficial onions are to your health? Read here to learn more about the most valuable and well-known health benefits of onions.
- Onions can aid with good oral health by helping to prevent tooth decay and infections. Studies show that chewing onions helps to kill germs in the mouth throat and lips.
- Natural blood thinner, also known as anticoagulants. Onions can help to prevent red blood cells from clumping and causing heart disorders and cardiovascular diseases.
- Onions contain a large amount of vitamin C in the body. This can help boost the immune system which can help to decrease the risk of disease and illness.
- Onions also contain powerful antioxidants that has been proven to decrease the number of free radicals in the body, which can help to reduce the risk of some cancers.
- Contain healthful vitamins: Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Folate, and Thiamin.
- Contains healthful minerals: Manganese, Potassium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium
How well do you know your onion types?
Shallot: Smallest of all of the onions with light flavor and a little bit of spiciness.
White Onions: Crunchy because it has the highest water content. Has a sharp taste and often used when cooking Mexican dishes.
Red Onions: Mild, crisp, and has the best nutritional content when consumed raw. Makes a great addition to salads!
Sweet Onion: Thick layers and has the highest natural sugar content. Used in many dishes to sweeten them up.
Yellow Onion: Sharp and spicy but mellows once cooked.