Save Your Knees1 LikeLike
Follow these easy tips to keep your knees healthy
1. Keep a healthy weight
- Every extra pound you pack on puts about 4 extra pounds of pressure on your knees when you walk or take the stairs. Being overweight also increases your chances of osteoarthritis in the knee. Excess pounds also cause existing arthritis to worsen more rapidly.
2. Work your legs, hips, and glutes
- Strong muscles are crucial for absorbing stress while you walk, run, or jump so you're not straining your knee. If you already have sore knees try performing low impact exercises such as swimming, bicycling.
3. Keep your bones strong
- Eat calcium rich foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, dark green leafy vegetables, etc.
- Consume a limited amount of alcohol (no more than 1-2 drinks per day). Alcohol can weaken your bones increasing your risk of osteoporosis.
- Avoid smoking. Tobacco increases your chance of developing osteoporosis by decreasing blood supply and slowing bone healing.
4. Wear supportive footwear
- Wear stable shoes with good arch support.
- Try custom orthotics.
5. Rest, ice, and stretch/massage
- If you find that after the end of a shift or exercise session that you experience knee pain, try resting your legs and applying ice to the area to decrease inflammation and reduce swelling.
- Stretch your legs, hips, and glutes before and after exercise or working sessions.