The Carrot and Ginger Soup Recipe, packed with healthy, fresh carrots and the warm spice of ginger, brightens a cold winter’s day. It freezes well, so make a large batch. Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 ½ lbs/700g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeld and crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 3 pints /1.6 litres low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Rind of 1 lemon, finely shredded
- 7 oz/200g Greek yogurt
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions and carrots, cook for several minutes, stirring from time to time. Do not brown the vegetables.
- Then add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock and lemon strips to the pan, half cover the pan with its lid, and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Cool slightly, then liquidize the soup until smooth.
- Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Reheat to serve.
- Spoon a dollop of Greek yogurt into the middle of each bowl of soup, garnish with chives or parsley if you wish. Serve with wholemeal crusty bread.