Help Heartburn the Natural Way0 LikesLike
Heartburn is an uncomfortable feeling of burning or warmth in the chest caused by stomach acid coming back up into the esophagus. Try some of these natural home remedies to relieve your heartburn symptoms.
- Drink a 250 mL glass of water – it will help wash the acid back down into your stomach
- Mix ½ teaspoon baking soda with a few drops of lemon juice in warm water – the baking soda will neutralize the stomach acid. DO NOT drink the baking soda by itself! You need the lemon juice to reduce the gas the baking soda will create in the stomach.
- Eat raw vegetables – the juices will help neutralize the stomach acid
- Stay upright – gravity will help pull the acid down into your stomach. Avoid bending over and lying down.
- Sleep on your left side – the stomach will hang at an angle that gathers fluid away from the esophagus
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day – to minimize the production of stomach acid
- Quit smoking – smoking relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, the junction between the stomach and the esophagus
- Identify food triggers and sensitivities – there are several basic food triggers including: fried foods, alcohol, caffeine, soda, spicy food, tomato and citrus. It has also been found that food sensitivities including dairy and gluten have a strong link to heart burn. An IgG food Panel can tell you what foods you are most sensitive to.